Cold weather can be tougher to survive in, for a diabetic. So, in this case, all you need to do is just follow these 5 tips to fight with winters:
• Do not keep your devices for diabetes, and insulin in the cold, because extreme heat as well as extreme cold can also adversely affect your insulin. That’s why we advise you, not to keep your insulin pump and blood sugar monitor device below 34 degrees Fahrenheit. In case, if you are outside in the cold weather, always try to keep your insulin pump close to your body, and cover it with warm clothes.
• Look after your Immune system– It is very important to look after your immune system during winters, because winters, as we all know is a flu season.
Falling ill during winter can stress you out and it may cause a high blood sugar level. To protect yourself in winters do consult your doctor and follow some basic rules, such as, wash your hands often with hand wash, and always keep hand sanitizer with you. It will definitely protect you from germs causing cold & flu.
• Keep an eye on your blood sugar levels– With the change of season your blood sugar levels may also change, that’s why it is very important to keep an eye on your blood sugar level. We suggest you, to ensure the adoption of right diet at optimal intervals for better health.
• Keep yourself warm– Cold weather can leave you with cold hands and feet, thus it will be more difficult for you to checkout your blood sugar levels. So, try to always keep yourself warm during this freezing winter. Always wear gloves and sock, while going outside or even when you are at home religiously.
• Exercise is very important – Cold weather can stop you to follow your daily routine and in result, you may skip your daily exercises. But to control your glucose level, it is quite important to move your body even in chilly weather. Taking a walk, and joining any gym can help you out in a better way.